Dark mode is much easier on your eyes. Facebook Messenger is one of the most popular instant messaging apps today.
It might be difficult on the eyes to use IM programs in default light mode, especially in a dark environment. Dark mode on Facebook Messenger is one remedy for this.
What Is Dark Mode on Messenger?
When Facebook Messenger Dark mode is enabled, the chat window’s backdrop is completely darkened to black. The chat’s other components may be somewhat altered.
- Your friend’s comments change to white font with a gray background.
- Your comments change to white font with a blue background.
- Your list of recent conversations on the left change to white text with a gray background.
- All icons and headings also change to white
Turn on Facebook Messenger Dark Mode in Windows 10
The process of entering Dark mode on Facebook Messenger for Windows 10 is not that simple. The Preferences menu contains a secret setting for Dark mode.
- Launch Facebook Messenger desktop. If you don’t have it installed yet, you can download Facebook Messenger for desktop and install it first.
- Select the small Messenger icon at the upper left of the window, select Messenger, and select Preferences.
- This will open a Preferences window. Select Appearance from the left menu, then select the Theme drop-down. Here you’ll see a selection of different themes. You can choose any of the darker themes you prefer. If you prefer a slightly lighter dark mode, the Grey theme is a better option. If you like high-contrast displays with darker dark and lighter lights, choose High Contrast (Dark).
- Once you select the Dark theme, all of the Facebook Messenger windows you have open will update to Dark Mode.
- If you ever want to switch back to Light mode, just repeat all of the steps above. Instead of choosing the Dark theme, choose the Light theme instead. This will immediately change all open Facebook Messenger windows back to Light mode.
Turn on Facebook Messenger Dark Mode in Browser
If you’re using Facebook Messenger in the browser rather than in the desktop app, enabling Dark mode is even easier.
- With Facebook open in your browser, access Facebook Messenger by selecting the Messenger icon at the upper right corner of the window.
- At the bottom of the Facebook Messenger panel, select See All in Messenger. This will open the Messenger browser app.
- In the Facebook Messenger browser window, select the drop-down menu at the upper right corner of the window. Then select Display & Accessibility and enable the Dark Mode toggle.
- This will convert the entire Facebook Messenger browser app window over to Dark mode. Keep in mind that when you enable Dark mode in the browser-based Facebook Messenger app, it also enables Dark mode for all other Facebook windows in the browser. If you don’t want this, then you’ll have to install the Facebook Messenger desktop app and choose the Dark theme instead.
- To switch Facebook Messenger back to Light mode in the browser, just repeat the process above but disable the Dark Mode toggle rather than enabling it.
Messenger Dark Mode in the Facebook App
You can also enable Dark mode in the Facebook Messenger app on your mobile device. If you don’t have it yet, you can install Facebook Messenger for Android from the Google Play store, or Facebook Messenger for iOS from the App Store.
Enabling Dark mode in the Facebook Messenger app is just as simple as doing it in the browser.
- Launch the Facebook Messenger app and tap on your Profile image in the upper left corner.
- This will bring up the Profile screen where you can tap to enable the Dark Mode toggle.
- When you enable this, you’ll see the entire Facebook Messenger window switch over to Dark mode.
Using Facebook Messenger in Dark Mode
The first time you switch Messenger in Dark mode, it’ll seem a little weird. It really gives Messenger a completely distinct appearance. However, as you get used to it, you’ll notice that your IM conversations are much more fun and your eyes are less fatigued.